Saturday, 25 May 2013

Namesake...


Today is the day. I smiled…
                                                    
                                                   ********************
She came to me one day. I did not know why, and I never asked. There was no need, no reason. She came to me and wrote ‘friend’ on my arm. She wrote it with a drop of dew in the morning. She wrote it bold and clear for the wind to see and tell the story to the rustling leaves. She came to me like a shade in the summer, rain in the ocean. I did not ask why…I should have…

                                                     ********************

“Sad. Isn't that the most beautiful word? It has all the ache and loneliness that it tries to convey”
“Why do you ask?”       
“Don’t know. Maybe because that’s what I’m feeling right now. Sad”
“Hmmm…”
“What do you think is the most beautiful word is?”
“Mine..”

                                                  ********************

She was crying and I was holding her. I did not speak, just held her, letting her know. The silence between us, interrupted only by her sobbing, wasn't heavy. It did not need to be broken. When she looked up, her eyes misty and red, I could see myself in them. She took my palm and wrote ‘love’. She wrote it with the rays of morning sun. She wrote it soft and warm, so the autumn moonlight would not see it and tell stories to the haughty nightingale. We sat in silence… She held me now….

                                                   ********************

“Why is the ocean always melancholic?”
“Is it? I think she is the happiest creature in the world. She has the setting sun which always returns back to it, she has the loving wind which would never leave it demure.”
“But yet, the one she weeps for is the shoreline. She weeps for that which she could never have, which always send her back with painful goodbyes.”
“Then it is because she does not know when to let go.”
“Mmmm... Perhaps…”

                                                      ********************

I met her in the park, where she said she would be. She would tell me. I knew what she would tell me. Yet I went. For I knew this would be the last time I’ll see her. She had told about us to her parents the day before. She kept herself calm as she talked to me. But I was not listening. Those words did not matter, they were hollow. Hollow compared to what we were feeling. She was talking about her father, showering her with diatribe..I was looking at her eyebrows..her mother threatening suicide..I was lost in her hazel eyes...her sister’s stunned silence..I was imagining my hands on her cheek..I did not hear a word. 

She took a broken shard of glass and scratched out the words in my arm and palm. I tried not to look hurt.

I rose from the park-bench and started walking away. I did not turn back once…

                                                          ********************

Today is the day. I smiled ruefully as I looked myself at the mirror, trying to figure out what to wear. I did not put on any make-up, she was not vain. I did not weigh my hair down with pins, she liked it better when my hair was down and free. I knew what she would say, this would be the last time I would see her.

...what are we, if not trying to cheat a breath of air for ourselves...
                                                           
                                                          ********************
         

                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment